Tuesday, 10 March 2015

Fussy Eaters ... Nutri Bullet Hidden Veggie Bolognese

I know how hard it can be to get your kids to eat their veggies. In my house we definitely have our good days and our bad. Sometimes it is such a struggle to get the kids to even try something on their plate, whereas other days they are really good.

A lady I used to work with once told me about her grandson. He was a very picky eater and his mum couldn't get him to even eat any veggies. I suggested that she hide them in meals.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big advocate for allowing your children to learn about veggies, see them on their plate and find out what each one tastes like. I also believe that what is served for dinner is the only option for dinner. If you don't want/like it too bad. Harsh, I know!
But this poor mother was far beyond any of that, at her wits end and I wasn't going to judge her.

When making spaghetti bolognese I usually grate up a few carrots, chop up some capsicum, onion and mushroom and fry it up with my mince, before tossing in a tin of diced tomatoes and a jar of bolognese sauce.

It is quick and easy and I know my kids are getting a whole heap of veggies that they don't even know about.

Well ... this particular little boy wasn't going to be so easily tricked. He didn't like any of the 'hidden' veggies and ended up having some yoghurt and a sandwich for tea instead.

So I came up with another suggestion for her, and it worked! So I thought I would share it with all of you guys today in hopes that it helps someone else out there...

Here it is my...

Nutri Bullet Hidden Veggie Bolognese Sauce


So I was able to hide
Carrot
Potato
Tomato
Broccoli
Capsicum
Onion


I roughly chopped up all my veggies and popped them into the Nutri Bullet (I had a lot so I had to do it in 2 batches) and whizzed them up into a purée consistence. Don't forget if you don't have a Nutri Bullet any blender will work.



I love making my Bolognese sauce in the slow cooker. You don’t need it to be cooking all day, but it means that I can sort out the dinner before school pick up and not have to really worry about it after that.

So when I do it in the slow cooker I like to brown my mince in a fry pan first. This just means that I am able to drain the fat off before I add it to the slow cooker.

I then added my jar of Bolognese sauce (we use a Five Brothers one), my puréed veggies and a tin on diced tomatoes (you may need to give these a whizz as well if you have really fuzzy eaters as there is still chunks of tomato).


Then I leave it to cook on high for a couple of hours, or until I’m ready to cook my pasta for tea.

There you have it. The veggies were completely hidden and it just tasted like a regular Bolognese sauce.


Now you can start off like this and slowly start puréeing the vegies a little less as time goes by, or what I like to do is leave out a couple of veggies each time. For example grate or dice the carrot and purée the rest, or steam some broccoli and add that with the other vegies still puréed.


This little one loves her fruits and veggies and kept coming and stealing bites of my capsicum.


Do you have fuzzy eaters? Do your kids pick out all their veggies? Would you like to see more recipes like this? Let me know in the comments below.